Tips & Tricks
Do you want to improve the AIRFLOW in your home and make your HVAC equipment work more efficiently?
Here are 5 tips:
- Check the supply and returns vents, be sure there is nothing blocking them. If there is something in the way the system may not be getting the necessary amounts of air to run efficiently.
- Using your ceiling fans properly can improve the flow of air in your home and increases you comfort level in your living space.In the Winter months be sure that your fan is set to move and push the air down.
In the Summer months you want to set your fan to pull the air up.
Circulating your air continually makes the temperature more consistence and ultimately improving your comfort level. Not too hot and not too cold.
- Replace your Air Filter regularly. You need the correct amount of air entering your systems so it can work properly. Dirty filters prevent the needed air and make your system work harder.You should change your filter according to the manual guidelines. Depending on your situation you may need to change them more often. For example: A vacation home with not much traffic ever 4-6 months. If you have a very busy and active family with pets you may need to check and change them monthly.
- You should have your systems maintenanced by a licensed professional twice a year. The air conditioner should be checked in the spring before turning it on during the hot summer months. The furnace should be checked in the fall before you fire it up for those long winter months.Simple maintenance can improve the life of your equipment and if there is something wrong you can get it taken care of or start preparing for the future.
Contacting your heating and cooling company to see if they have a maintenance plan.
- Clean your ducts. By cleaning your ducts you are helping keep the air moving. Cleaning your ducts also provide better air quality and can reduce the dust in your home. If have odors in your home you may need to have them cleaned.If you feel that the air flow is poor you can have a licenced technician come out and look at the ducts and be sure that there are not leeks or that they have not separated. If there is a leek or a gap the technician with use specialize tape to seal them. Sealing the ducts can improve your air conditioner air flow, and save you up to 30% on your heating and cooling bills